Job Title: Art Director
Reports to: Executive Creative Director
Location: Berkeley or Remote
Employment Type: FT, Exempt
Travel Requirements: 25-50%
WHO WE ARE
Tencue is an experiential marketing and consulting company focused on live interactions, in-person, and digital experiences. We study how people communicate across media and platforms, and then we align strategies and brands across these realities. With roots in performing arts and social sciences plus twenty years of experience in live corporate events, Tencue brings a unique perspective to every project.
Our mission is to create compelling, world-class events at the edge of what’s possible; taking audiences on irresistible multi-sensory journeys that create unique moments, spark imaginations, and ignite change. We craft strategically led, creatively driven, and precisely executed interactions and gatherings - empowering organizations to inspire and educate participants across media, platforms, and physical spaces.
With roots in performing arts, media, and the social sciences (plus almost 30 years of experience in live corporate and cultural events), TENCUE brings a unique and powerful perspective to every project. With a culture of acceptance, mutual respect, and open-mindedness, we foster an environment where people take care of each other and feel safe, included, and vital. We operate with integrity and compassion for our teams, our communities, and the world.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Reporting to the ECD of TENCUE, Art Director at TENCUE is an essential creative force who has the proven ability to translate a client's business objectives into artistic innovation while deeply understanding the intersectionality of the two. With an events-and-experiences oriented focus, you are tasked with the creation and delivery of first-in-class design outcomes, and will work with diverse, distributed event teams in-person and via digital channels seamlessly.
You are a highly imaginative, collaborative, pragmatic risk taker, and a seasoned interpreter with the technical skills to back it all up. You are actively listening and helping diagnose the clients’ (and our own) needs and goals, thriving on the challenge of guiding and encouraging everyone to express and execute on the vision in the most impactful and long-lasting way for our audiences. You excel at communicating, translating, and connecting that vision to (and from) creative and production teams, as well as internal and external stakeholders, partners, and vendors - while continuously streaming information, know-how, and guidance where needed. The right AD is insatiably curious, deeply-skilled, level-headed, and inclusive.
YOU SHOULD HAVE
- You must have a strong design portfolio displaying work examples
- You have 4+ years of proven fluency and experience producing creative in a team environment for a variety of specialty (IRL, digital, virtual) engagements across industries
- You are proficient in Adobe Creative Cloud (particularly Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, and After Effects) and design related applications (Figma, Cinema4D, etc)
- You have show-ready visual storytelling skills in presentation design applications (Powerpoint, Keynote, Google slides, etc)
- You are experienced in coordinating dynamic, fast-paced projects involving senior stakeholders and interdisciplinary creative teams
- You are well-versed in human-centered brainstorming and ideation methodologies
- You understand how to assist in generating the “big idea” and drawing it out collaboratively from those around you
- You have knowledge of emergent trends and technologies related to the event and performance world
- You possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, analytical and problem-solving skills, and are a confident decision-maker
- You have outstanding client-facing, people management and interpersonal skills
- You are self-motivated, proactive, reliable, accountable, and unflappable
- You have the ability to collaborate and concept on video, audio and motion graphics/animation
- You have a passion for stunning, smart, innovative design – and for sharing that passion in collaborative, empathetic, and inclusive ways.
- Gather and evaluate stakeholder requirements in collaboration with creative and production teams
- Convey concept and design ideas using illustrations, storyboards, mockups, and prototypes
- Prepare and present presentations to internal teams and key stakeholders
- Design brand and style standards for a wide variety of events and experiences
- Identify design problems and devise elegant solutions - pushing the creative envelope and continually raising the bar on the value of the client’s creative while delivering successful and budget-conscious solutions to stakeholders
- Maintain design and development processes for numerous shows and engagements simultaneously – each in different stages of production
- Be accountable for the quality, consistency, integrity, and execution of design deliverables
- Actively participate in internal review processes and feedback sessions from both internal and external stakeholders
- Consistently produce cutting-edge work under tight time and budget constraints
- Understand and communicate client’s (and TENCUE’s) missions, values, and goals at every design touchpoint
- Onsite artistic direction and implementation to ensure high-level design execution
- Collaborate with scenic vendors and guide material selection
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Cloud (particularly Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, and After Effects) and design related applications (Figma, Cinema4D, etc)
- Proficient in presentation design applications (Powerpoint, Keynote, Google slides, etc)
- Outstanding client-facing, people management and interpersonal skills
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Time Management Skills
- Task/project management
- Professional written & verbal communication
- Presentation Skills
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT IN RETURN
- Full time position
- Opportunities for growth and development
- Health & Dental Insurance (choice of plans)
- 100% Employer paid short-term disability and life insurance
- Opportunity to elect additional life insurance and LTD insurance at employee expense
- Paid parental leave
- Opportunity to contribute pre-tax dollars to flexible spending accounts
- 401(K) with employer match
- Flexibility in work schedules
- Generous time off
NOT SURE IF YOU SHOULD APPLY?
Studies show that those identifying as under-represented individuals might have talked themselves out of applying at this point. Don’t worry about checking every single box. At TENCUE, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic team – so if you’re excited about this role, but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every single qualification in this job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may just be the right candidate for this role or we may have other roles that better align with your skillset.
Individuals will be required to sit for the majority of the day and will be required to stand as needed. May require walking primarily on a level surface for periodic periods throughout the day. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required to file documents or store materials throughout the workday. Proper lifting techniques required. Individuals will be required to travel via airplane, train, taxi, car and/or other means of transportation as needed.
The job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.”
OTHER DUTIES AND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT
The above noted job description is not intended to describe, in detail, the multitude of tasks that may be assigned but rather to give the employee/ candidate a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of the position. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice. This does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" relationship. This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
Opus Agency does not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. All employment is decided based on qualifications, merit, and business need. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Other Jobs You Might Be Interested In
Posted: 12 Days Ago
Size: Mid-size (51-499)
Salary: $58,000 - $76,000
Location: Beaverton, OR