Senior Ui Designer
Exygy is a digital innovation studio on a mission to build resilient and healthy communities. We enable impact-focused organizations to rethink experiences and create digital products that solve their problems and delight users. Our diverse team brings a breadth of technical expertise, user-centric perspectives, and product strategy to every engagement. As a certified B-Corporation, we are driven by our fierce commitment to the betterment of humanity. Our clients include CARE International, QURE Healthcare, San Francisco Mayor's Office of Housing, and Hopelab.
Exygy has embraced a work from home philosophy and we are now a remote-first company. This role can be located anywhere in the U.S and may occasionally require traveling to the San Francisco Bay Area for meetings or team building events. Exygy remains connected and engaged with virtual team events, weekly all hands meetings and regular zoom workshops and trainings.
Exygy seeks an enthusiastic, experienced, and creative Senior User Interface Designer (focused on Design Systems) who is passionate about making a difference in the world with design and technology. Join our tight-knit and growing product team to build out Bloom, our affordable housing platform. You’ll be working alongside our consultancy team working on a wide variety of high-impact projects with our civic and health sector clients. This is a full-time remote position.
As a Senior User Interface Designer at Exygy you will spend most of your time on our Bloom affordable housing project team, supporting and expanding an existing Design System for the core platform while designing new features for our client engagements.
You will be responsible for collaborating with Exygy/Bloom engineers, researchers, and product managers in all phases of the design process - from research to production.
You will be responsible for driving and maintaining our Design System helping the team be more efficient in delivery: including searchable component libraries, supporting documentation, shareable design tokens, visual mockups and clickable prototypes.
Through product growth, you will need to facilitate the ongoing governance of the Design System. To do this, you should be able to co-facilitate communication channels and ideation sessions with engineers, researchers and product managers to make sure their voices are represented in the resulting design decisions, component updates and usability documentation.
Ensuring the final design assets are accessible, impactful and equitable is an important part of our process. Part of this work will entail collaborating with our accessibility partners in the community to audit and test our components with assistive technology on a regular basis.
Since this is also a client-facing role, you should also be ready to create presentations and present to clients as well as clearly articulate design rationale and decisions to internal and external stakeholders and community members.
Because of the Bloom product’s social impact focus, our end users are often members of underserved and underrepresented communities. That makes it even more important to bring a true human-centered design approach to our process.
For this position, you should be able to support the conducting of user and stakeholder research in an accessible and equitable way with members of these communities. Bringing empathetic and approachable mindsets and processes is crucial to build relationships with our partners and the communities they serve.
- Create engaging UI design solutions that successfully articulate the vision and goals of a project and solve users’ pain points. Including creating: documented component libraries, visual mockups and clickable prototypes.
- Plan and conduct Design System research with internal team members and stakeholders including: workshops, interface audits, UI recommendations, component inventories, visual design research and mood boards.
- Collaborate with the front end engineering team to create and maintain: the technical component architecture, css code style, workflows for creating new components or variations of existing components, centralized searchable design assets and a shared QA delivery process.
- Advocate for accessibility standards and inclusive design principles both through visual guidelines and coding best practices.
- Work with the product team and peer designers to define: design strategy, stories and acceptance criteria for design, accessibility standards as well as system governance across both the core platform and our client feature roadmaps.
- Facilitate communication channels to address how Design System governance should accommodate for component variation, core vs client branding, as well as partner design contributions.
- Create or work closely with design researchers to support conducting user research to gain insights into users goals, motivations and challenges. Activities include: putting research plans together, recruiting users, co-facilitating user interviews, and synthesizing and presenting findings.
- Demonstrate best practices, thoroughness and a high level of critical thinking when presenting design decisions.
- Solicit and provide feedback from project team members relating to design and process.
- An online portfolio which demonstrates experience with visual and interaction design across multiple verticals and platforms (mobile/web/desktop) required (if you don’t have a portfolio, you can send us links for designs and/or Design Systems you have created/contributed to and be ready to provide context/more information about them)
- Bachelor’s degree in Design or equivalent experience required;
- 3+ years of hands on professional experience as a UI Designer working with Design Systems;
- Demonstrated knowledge of human-centered design principles and processes, from discovery and ideation to design and iteration.Expert knowledge of appropriate Figma and additional design software (eg, Adobe Creative Cloud, Miro and Google Workspace)
- Working knowledge of appropriate front end coding languages (eg. CSS, HTML, modern JS frameworks similar to React) including participating in front end code reviews.
- Should be able to identify and provide guidance on resolving accessibility issues according to the WCAG 2.0 guidelines.
- Demonstrated ability to articulate and justify design strategy as it relates to solving human problems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of equitable design processes and accessibility best practices.
- Strong collaboration abilities, along with a flexible and friendly approach to working with teams.
- An active interest in design principles, tools and trends.
- A focus on both a macro and micro level in terms of design details.
- The ability to give and take constructive feedback well in order to improve and develop.
- An interest in developing skills and sharing knowledge with fellow peers and community members.
- The ability to manage time wisely, multi-task, project plan, context-switch, and keep your team up-to-date.
- Comfortable working within an agile development process
Impress us with your:
- Experience with the social impact world and community-focused design processes
- Knowledge of equity design processes and mindsets, how do make sure our products are truly equitable
- Knowledge of human behavior and psychological factors that might impact user’s experience or deter them from completing tasks
- Knowledge of design and technology trends, emerging techniques, and sources for ongoing innovation in our work.
- Your experience in client-facing environments, working to understand requirements and collaborate on solutions
Compensation and Benefits
The annual salary range for this full-time position is $100,000 - $110,000. Exygy offers excellent benefits, including health, dental, vision, and life insurance; 401(k) with employer match; professional development budget; home office budget and wifi credit; monthly wellness stipend; unlimited paid time off; profit-sharing bonuses and paid volunteer time.
EEO & Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
We are actively seeking to create a diverse and equitable work environment because we believe that creates a stronger team.
Exygy values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQIA individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, older members of society, and others from minority groups and diverse backgrounds to apply. Exygy is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate against applicants because of race, color, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any protected category prohibited by local, state, or federal laws. All employees and contractors of Exygy are responsible for maintaining a work atmosphere free from discrimination and harassment by treating others with dignity and respect.
Apply for this job
Other Jobs You Might Be Interested In
Posted: 91 Days Ago
Size: Small (11-50)
Salary: $100,000 - $110,000
Location: San Francisco, CA
Education: Bachelor Degree